Table of Contents
Website blockers are useful tools for limiting access to the internet, whether for safety or productivity. They work by limiting access to certain websites and can be loaded on many different devices and browsers, which makes them a must-have for controlling online activities.
With thousands of websites being created every week, it is difficult to keep track of what’s needed and what’s not. There are ones that are absolutely necessary for us to go about with our life and work.
But then some are just distractions, taking away precious time. Distractions like these are the reason our productivity rate plummets every day.
So, it’s completely logical to look for a solution to curb these distractions, like a website blocker. When a solution exists out there, why not make the most of it?
What is a Website Blocker and how does it work?
A website blocker does exactly what it says, it blocks websites. It is a program/ app you download on your computer/phone to restrict access to certain parts of the internet.
Website blockers are also commonly called internet filters worldwide. They can either block specific websites for you or block an entire category of websites. As times have progressed, so have the website blockers along with it.
You can use these blockers to customize your access to include various domains and even on-page content like videos and games. As you are in control, you have the power to decide which website or category of websites you’d like to avoid and have blocked.
If blocking seems too extreme, you can even choose to set time limits. When you’re using a website and the time limit is up, you lose access to the website automatically.
You might want to install a website blocker for yourself or your kids. With the internet being such a vast unmonitored space, it is important to ensure the safety of kids online just as much as it is offline.
A simple solution like this can ensure all inappropriate content is blocked out from your 8-year-old’s tablet. Whatever the reason might be for you to install a website blocker on your phone or laptop, it’s efficient as it is an easy and simple process.
Plus, it is also just as easy to unblock if and when necessary. So, you can happily spend hours watching videos on YouTube once you’re done with all your work!
How to block any website?
There are several options available online that allow you to block websites as per your liking on all your electronic devices. Read along to know more about installing a website blocker, you can pick an option based on your needs.
How to Block a Website on Chrome?
Google Chrome is the most popular Web browser today, with over 1 billion users worldwide. Along with the wide reach and database, it is also littered with thousands of unnecessary distracting websites and content.
Thankfully extensions exist for Chrome, that allow you to block such websites. You can use these extensions to block inappropriate adult content, social networking sites, gaming websites, and basically anything that is particularly affecting your productivity.
To install a website blocker:
- Open the Chrome web store on your computer and search for “website blocker”.
- You will be presented with a wide variety of options. Look through all the available blockers and choose the one you like the best based on the rating and features. Block site and BlockerX are two good ones we’d recommend.
- To install the blocker, all you need to do is click on the “Add to Chrome” button and a pop-up should appear. Click on “Add extension” and the extension will get added.
- Once it has been installed, the icon of the extension will be displayed on the top right corner of the Chrome page. Based on the extension chosen by you, you should easily be able to add the URLs of websites you’d like to have blocked.
How to Block a Website on Windows?
There are two ways to block websites on a Windows device, you can either do it by editing the host files on your device or by installing the family safety feature.
How to download the Family Safety feature:
- On a Microsoft Edge device, download the family safety app.
- Sign in using your account details in the app.
- Find the name of the family member’s account on which you’d like to apply the restrictions and tap on it.
- Click on Content Filters> Web and Search> Turn on “Filter inappropriate websites”.
- If you’d like to specify the websites that need to be blocked, you can add specific websites to the Always Allowed and Never Allowed lists.
How to Block a Website on Android?
The easiest way to block websites on an Android device is by downloading a blocker app. There are tons of blocking apps available on the Android Play Store.
We recommend downloading BlockerX, the most easy to use, and most efficient blocking app out there.
To install BlockerX:
- On your smartphone, open the Google Play Store, and then type “BlockerX”. Now, select the first option, with the developer name FunSwitch Technologies. Simply click the ‘Install’ button to download the app on your phone.
- Once you download the app, click on the register button to create your account. That’ll require you to put in your email address and generate a password, which will help secure your account. Once you enter the requested credentials and the app confirms that it is valid, your account will be active immediately, and fully functional.
- Once you have installed the app, you easily block websites and domains by blocking the URL. You can also block any of the installed apps on the device as you wish. Now, you have successfully blocked all inappropriate content from your Android!
- Using this app you can also block other apps on your phone that have been affecting your productivity like Facebook, Instagram, etc.
To know more about BlockerX and its features and benefits, you can refer to this article.
How to Block a Website on Safari?
To block specific websites on any iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings icon on your home screen.
- Tap on the Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions > Web Content > Limit Adult Website.
- Click on “Add a Website”, right below the Never Allow section
- Type in or copy and paste the URL of the website you’d like to block.
- Click on Done and Viola it’s blocked!
To block specific websites on a Mac, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- Select the “Parental Controls” option.
- From the dropdown menu at the top left of the window, choose the user account for which you want the controls to apply (only Standard accounts are shown here, so if you can’t see the account you want, go to Users & Groups and change its account type to Standard).
- When a menu appears on the right, click on the “Web” tab.
- Enable the option that states “Try to limit access to adult websites”. It should be the second option. Then click on the Customize button next to it.
- On the following screen, click on the + button beneath the Never Allow These Websites section to add a new website to the block list.
- Type in the URL of the website you want to block and hit Enter. Feel free to add as many websites as you want to the list. Click on OK and you’re done.
These are only some of the reasons why you should consider installing a website blocker. Once you find the right kind of blocker for you and install it on your computer/phone, it’ll prove to be way more useful than you can imagine. Much more work will be off the to-do list in way less time, and there’ll be no need to stress about any of it.
If you choose to install a website blocker, let us know how it works out for you!