With thousands of websites being created every week, it is difficult to keep track of what’s needed and what’s not. There are ones that are absolutely necessary for us to go about with our life and work. But then some are just distractions, taking away precious time. Distractions like these are the reason our productivity rate plummets every day. So, it’s completely logical to look for a solution to curb these distractions, like a website blocker. When a solution exists out there, why not make the most of it.
What is a Website Blocker and how does it work?
A website blocker does exactly what it says, it blocks websites. It is a program/ app you download on your computer/phone to restrict access to certain parts of the internet. Website blockers are also commonly called as internet filters worldwide. They can either block specific websites for you or block an entire category of websites. As times have progressed, so have the website blockers along with it. You can use these blockers to customise your access to include various domains and even on-page content like videos and games. As you are in control, you have the power to decide which website or category of websites you’d like to avoid and have blocked. If blocking seems too extreme, you can even choose to set time limits. When you’re using a website and the time limit is up, you lose access to the website automatically.
You might want to install a website blocker for yourself or your kids. With the internet being such a vast unmonitored space, it is important to ensure the safety of kids online just as much as it is offline. A simple solution like this can ensure all inappropriate content is blocked out from your 8-year old’s tablet.
Whatever the reason might be for you to install a website blocker on your phone or laptop, it’s efficient as it is an easy and simple process. Plus, it is also just as easy to unblock if and when necessary. So, you can happily spend hours watching videos on YouTube once you’re done with all your work!
Benefits of Installing a Website Blocker
Merely being able to block a website on your phone/laptop can benefit you in various aspects of your life. Be it you problem of YouTube addiction, online shopping or porn problem, website blockers are here to save the day.
This seems to be the most obvious one. Once you get rid of all the distractions that are preventing you from being the most efficient in your work and life, your productivity is ought to increase. Not only does increased productivity ensure more work gets done, but it also ensures that the work getting done is of better quality. The improvement you see in your work and other projects will inspire and motivate you to work harder and better!
Improved phone/ laptop condition
When using your computer/phone for hours every day, it doesn’t often strike us that our equipments are enduring major damage from all our wasteful activities. The more time you spend on an electronic device, the more wear and tear it receives. This affects everything from the screen to the battery, all other components of the device.
By installing a website blocker on your phone/laptop, all the unnecessary usage is cut off. No more time spent browsing through Facebook and Youtube. This makes your electronic devices less vulnerable to various harmful viruses that slowly destroy the system. This ensures that your gadgets last longer and are in better condition.
More free time
It’s surprising when you realise how much time you spend on the internet unnecessarily, on the daily. The three hours you spend aimlessly on the internet, and be used to do so many more things off the internet that you enjoy. Once you log off the internet you get to have real-life experiences that you might otherwise miss out on. That spoken poetry event you wanted to attend but thought you were too swamped with work to attend it? Viola, you attend it now! Increased productivity also means work gets done faster and more efficiently. Thus, this in turn means more free time for you!
Just because everyone in today’s world is used to a heavy workload, doesn’t we get used to it. It does not get any less stressful as time passes. But, with a website blocker when you’re able to complete your entire to-do list in much less time, you’ll definitely be relieved. A sigh of relief you didn’t know you were looking for. Taking a breather once in a while when you’re no longer buried in work, helps you stay calm and work with a clearer head. This one little thing can be extremely beneficial to your mental health.
How to block any website
There are several options available online that allow you to block websites as per your liking on all your electronic devices. Read along to know more about installing a website blocker, you can pick an option based on your needs.
How to block a website on chrome
Google chrome is the most popular Web browser today, with over 1 billion users worldwide. Along with the wide reach and database, it is also littered with thousands of unnecessary distracting websites and content. Thankfully extensions exist for Chrome, that allow you to block such websites. You can use these extensions to block inappropriate adult content, social networking sites, gaming websites, basically anything that is particularly affecting your productivity.
To install a website blocker:
- Open the Chrome web store on your computer and search for “website blocker”.
- You will be presented with a wide variety of options. Look through all the available blockers and choose the one you like the best based on the rating and features. Block site and BlockerX are two good one we’d recommend.
- To install the blocker, all you need to do is click on the “Add to Chrome” button and pop up should appear. Click on “Add extension” and the extension will get added.
- Once it has been installed, the icon of the extension will be displayed on the top right corner of the Chrome page. Based on the extension chosen by you, you should easily be able to add in the URLs of websites you’d like to have blocked.
How to block a website on Windows
There are two ways to block websites on a Windows device, you can either do it by editing the host files on your device or by installing the family safety feature.
How to block using host files:
- To start off, you need to have administrator access on your computer. Sign in using an administrator account and go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
- Double-click the file named “hosts” and select Notepad to open the file. Click OK. The last two lines of your host file should read “# 127.0.0.1 localhost” and “# ::1 localhost”.
- In case you aren’t able to edit the file, you’ll need to right-click the file labeled hosts and select Properties. Click the Security tab, select the administrator account and click Edit.
- In the pop-up, select the account again and check Full control. Click Apply > Yes. Now click OK in all pop-ups.
- At the end of the file, you can add the addresses of websites to block. To do this, just add a line at the end of the file, with 127.0.0.1, and then the name of the site you want to block – this will redirect the site’s name to your local computer.
- To block Google, for example, add “127.0.0.1 www.google.com” to the end of the file without the quote marks. You can block as many sites as you want this way, but remember you can only add one per line.
- Repeat this step until you’ve added all websites you want to block.
5. Now close the hosts file and click Save. Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to download the Family Safety feature:
- One a Microsoft Edge device, download the family safety app.
- Sign in using your account details in the app.
- Find the name of the family member’s account on which you’d like to apply the restrictions and tap on it.
- Click on Content Filters> Web and Search> Turn on “Filter inappropriate websites”.
- If you’d like to specify the websites that need to be blocked, you can add specific websites to the Always allowed and Never allowed lists.
How to block a website on Android
The easiest way to block websites on an android device is by downloading a blocker app. There are tons of blocking apps available on the Android Play Store. We recommend downloading BlockerX, the most easy to use, and efficient blocking app out there.
To install BlockerX:
- On your smartphone, open the Google Play Store, and then type “BlockerX”. Now, select the first option, with the developer name as FunSwitch Technologies. Simply click the ‘Install’ button to download the app on your phone. You can also click on this link to install the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.funswitch.blocker&hl=en_IN
- Once you download the app, click on the register button to create your account. That’ll require you to put in your email address and generate a password, which will help secure your account. Once you enter the requested credentials and the app confirms that to be valid, your account will be active immediately, and fully functional.
- Once you have installed the app, you easily block websites and domains by blocking the URL. You can also block any of the installed apps on the device as you wish. Now, you have successfully blocked all inappropriate content from your Android!
- Using this app you can also block other apps on your phone that have been affecting your productivity like Facebook, Instagram, etc.
To know more about BlockerX and its features and benefits, you can refer to this article.
How to block a website on Safari
To block specific websites on any iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings icon on your home screen.
- Tap on the Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions > Web Content > Limit Adult Website.
- Click on “Add a Website”, right below the the Never Allow section
- Type in or copy and paste the URL of the website you’d like to block.
- Click on Done and Viola it’s blocked!
To block specific websites on a Mac, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- Select the “Parental Controls” options.
- From the dropdown menu at the top left of the window, choose the user account for which you want the controls to apply (only Standard accounts are shown here, so if you can’t see the account you want, go to Users & Groups and change its account type to Standard).
- When a menu appears on the right, click on the “Web” tab.
- Enable the option that states “Try to limit access to adult websites”. It should be the second option. Then click on the Customize button next to it.
- On the following screen, click on the + button beneath the Never allow these websites section to add a new website to the block list.
- Type in the URL of the website you want to block and hit Enter. Feel free to add as many websites as you want to the list. Click on OK and you’re done.
Why We Need Website Blockers
An invention like a website blocker is definitely a boon to today’s world. We are so engrossed in our lives on the Internet, we do not realise when it’s time to step away from it to take a break. This is also the cause of the new age epidemic of Internet Addiction. Of the entire world population, only 39% have access to high-speed internet. Out of this 39%, an estimated 6-8% of the population is said to be prone to Internet Addiction.
Kids and the Internet
Parents all around the world are concerned that their kids are spending more time on the internet today when compared to most of the past generations. This is very true considering today, kids spend more time in the “on-screen” world than the “off-screen” world. A survey conducted in the United States and the United Kingdom found that people between the age of 8 to 28 approximately spend up to 50 hours each week on the Internet behind digital screens. 23% of kids and teens surveyed in the US agreed that they feel addicted to video games and social media. This is definitely something to be worried about.
However, it does not mean that kids and teens should not be allowed to use the internet at all. Instead, steps must be taken to ensure they are using the Internet the right way and in the right amount. With inappropriate content plastered all over the internet, it is important we ensure the safety of the younger generation on the internet.
Here are some ways in which you can regulate the onscreen time for your kids and ensure their safety on the Internet
The Internet is a major part of our life today. Irrespective of age, everyone needs access to it. Be it for work, school, or personal reason. Hence, you can’t stop your kids from using the Internet. Neither can you hang by their sides 24/7 while they use the Internet. So, here are some tips to help you deal with this situation:
Install a blocker app on all their devices.
The easiest way to ensure the kids are safe from inappropriate content on the internet is to install a blocking app on their smartphones and tablets. There are tons of apps available on the market for this, you can pick anyone you like. You can use these apps to block certain inappropriate apps and also set time limits on other distracting apps like social networking and gaming apps. Once the child uses up their daily time limit for the app, they will automatically get blocked and they won’t be able to use it for the rest of the day.
Limit the number of hours you child spends behind a digital screen
Based on their age and their educational needs, you can set up daily limits for internet usage for your kids. For example:
- Children below the age of 2– Experts suggest that children in this age group should not be exposed to digital screens at all on a regular basis. It can be harmful if they get used to smartphones at such a young age.
- Children between the ages of 2 to 10 – Approximately one hour for educational purposes and one hour for their personal entertainment is suggested to be appropriate.
- Tween and Teens – Kids this age often need access to the internet for their studies and homework, so there can be no limit imposed on that. But, you can ensure that once all their school work is complete, they don’t spend more than 2 hours on the internet daily.
Kid-proof online browsers
You can easily do this by downloading parenting control software and blocking extensions on your kids’ computers. This will help you ensure that your kids are safe from the predators and creeps online. Make sure they do not come across inappropriate content online as it will all be blocked from web searches.
Parenting in the digital age can sure be difficult. For the safety of your kids, you need to stay informed about the dangers.
It requires Intel and constant surveillance. It is important to stay in tune with your kid and install protective measures on all devices. There are a large number of apps that can block and filter inappropriate content on your child’s device, like BlockerX. Such apps give you parental control and allow you to have a look at your kid’s whereabouts on the Internet.
Do not just ban your kids from using the Internet. Instead, have open conversations about pornography, predators, and other dangers found in media. Tread with caution and care, in such a situation. Take the time to explain to the dangers of pornography and predators on the internet. Once you’ve spoken to them, the next step would be to download parental controls on all their devices, to ensure their safety. All parents face this situation someday, it’s best to be prepared!
Need for Digital Detox
Life in today’s world is extremely hectic and fast-paced. We’re so focused on improving our standard of living and lifestyle, that we often forget that by not stepping back and taking a break, we are in fact causing a negative impact.
We touch our mobile phones approximately 90 times a day. That is an astonishing number. It’s no secret that we’ve all become slaves to our electronic devices. It’s only logical if you’ve been wondering to put an end to this new-age slavery. This is where a digital detox comes in. There are several ways of doing a digital detox, you can try to ban using your phone at night, leaving it out of your room before you sleep or not using your phone at all during the weekend. You can choose whatever suits you best.
A digital detox is a period of time during which you refrain from using any electronic devices connected to the internet. This counts both your phone and laptop, unless you need to use them for an emergency or work. A detox like this allows you to de-stress and focus more on your real-life interactions. It is also a good way to ensure you don’t let yourself get addicted to the Internet or any electronic devices.
Why you should choose to Digital Detox:
With how dynamic our lives are today, we often tend to brush away things we might want to do. But don’t have the time or patience to figure out how to do it. A digital detox is one of those things for many people. Here are reasons to motivate you to take this step that you won’t regret!
Internet addiction has been linked with depression and anxiety
Research conducted in recent history has revealed major links between internet addiction/usage and depression and anxiety disorders. This is especially prominent in teenagers all over the world today. 1 in 5 teens in first world countries have phone/internet addictions. We spend more time today on social media than we spend interacting with our peers in real life. This can cause serious detrimental effects on one’s mental health, making them prone to avoiding social situations.
Although the internet and smartphones are a big part of our life, it is important that we take some time off every now and then. This not only allows our mind to take a breather and rest, it also ensures that we don’t fall in the trap of this passive slavery.
Lack of exercise and time spent outdoors
More often than not, excessive tech usage also results in sedentary behaviour. We spend so much time on our laptop and phone, that we tend to forget that a world exists beyond those screens. The more time we spend on our screens, the more time we spend engaging in healthier activities. A Harvard study has shown that one of the biggest reasons for obesity among teens is the excessive usage of electronic devices. Kids who spend an excessive amount time on their phones, tablets, and computers are much more likely to become obese. This is in comparison to those who don’t spend as much time on the internet.
Technology & ADHD
ADHD stands for Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. A study published by the American Medical Association has found that kids and teens who frequently use the internet and social media are twice as likely to develop all the telltale symptoms of ADHD. Brain mapping and imaging research has shown that excessive time spent behind screens on social media, gaming, etc, can cause damage in the frontal cortex of the brain. This is the part of our brain that is in charge of our impulse control. Changes in impulsivity is one of the prominent symptoms of ADHD.
How you can do a Digital Detox
- Get rid of all the distraction
The best way to do this is to download an app/website blocker on all your electronic devices. This is easy, simple and the most effective way to ensure you don’t spend time on unnecessary apps or websites. There are tons of app blockers and website blockers on the internet, pick anyone you like. This way, even if you try to give in to your urges and try to open these apps, you will no longer have access to them.
- Have a good reason to pull out your phone
We’re all aware that our phones are extremely handy and help us in more ways than we can imagine. They help us stay on top of our schedules, keep in touch with our friends, tell us the time, and much more. But, what we don’t realise is that we don’t need our phones to do all this for us. It is just as easy to opt for digital free alternatives to do things you’d otherwise use your phone. If not all the time, you can at least try doing this for the digital detox period.
- Implement electronic “fasting”
An electronic means exactly what it sounds like. For a period of time do not use your phone/computer at all. It’s like fasting from all internet users. You can start with short periods and then expand the time period as you progress. You can choose to fast for either a weekend or one full week, whatever suits you better. This can be a little scary at first, but trust me as time passes you will start to enjoy it!
The vicious problem of Porn Addiction
As a result of how easily accessible porn has become on the Internet, porn addiction has become a growing problem all over the world. People of all ages, belonging to a diverse background, have come forward to speak up about their porn addiction.
A recent study states that around 33% of males aged between the age of 16-34 are addicted to high-speed internet porn. And this figure is growing every day as more and more people get access to the internet worldwide. The main cause for this is, pornographic content is now readily accessible at your fingertips.
The mainstream media has failed to give importance to this addiction, neglecting it continuously. When in fact, porn addiction can cause serious damage to one’s physical and mental health. Some of the side effects of porn addiction being:
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Difficulty forming and maintaining relationships
How to quit porn
Quitting porn does not have to be as hard as the internet makes it to be. You can refer to this article, to get a better understanding of how porn addiction works and tips on how to quit it.
The first step in such a scenario would be for you to accept the fact that you have an addiction. Research shows most of them owe their recovery to a process called rebooting.
Rebooting is a process of recovering from addictions. It refers to recovering from pornography addiction and similar associated symptoms. It refers to the process of abstaining oneself from all forms of pornography for a sufficient duration, to recover from the negative effects of porn addiction.
These are only some of the reasons why you should consider installing a website blocker. Once you find the right kind of blocker for you and install it on your computer/phone, it’ll prove to be way more useful than you can imagine. Much more work will be off the to-do list in way less time, and there’ll be no need to stress about any of it.
If you choose to install a website blocker, let us know how it works out for you!