Table of Contents
Are you wondering how to block YouTube on Google Chrome? And which method works best as a YouTube blocker Chrome? Well, I have the answer for you.
But before we dive into it, do you think we really need to block YouTube? After all, YouTube can be a vast source of educational, learning, and entertainment content. And, if YouTube is such a boon, then what exactly is the problem?
Well, YouTube becomes a real problem when distraction takes centre stage and productivity takes a plummeting dive!
Ask yourself- Do you spend hours scrolling through YouTube? Is it occupying most part of your day? Is your daily routine, work, or plans being affected by watching videos on YouTube? Is procrastination your new friend?
If yes, it is time, my friend, to make a decision to break this growing clutches of YouTube addiction!
Did you know that, according to a study conducted by Pew Research Center, it was found that nearly half of internet users browse through the platform at least once per day, and about 36% use it several times a day? In fact, with as many as 81% of American users, YouTube is the no. 1 social platform in the US, surpassing popular platforms like Netflix and TikTok!
Clearly, YouTube is a growing concern. Therefore, if you find yourself spending lots of time on YouTube and procrastinating every other activity, you should consider blocking YouTube. Today, we will explore How to Block YouTube on Chrome: Best YouTube Blocker Chrome Options!
Let’s get started.
Reasons for Blocking YouTube
Here are some genuine reasons to use the best YouTube blocker chrome to block YouTube:
- Excessive use of YouTube can result in exposure to specific topics or YouTube videos that have the potential to give rise to irritability, depression, and addiction. Moreover, YouTube’s algorithm is designed to keep the user hooked, making it hard to break free from the loop.
- Persistent YouTube use can lead to addiction. This, in turn, can bring about a number of adverse effects, like spending a lot of time planning or watching YouTube videos. It can lead to neglecting essential responsibilities connected to your job, family, education, or other areas of your life.
- YouTube has educational and fun stuff, but not everything there is safe for everyone. The chances of young kids and teens coming across inappropriate or adult content are incredibly high.
Let us look at some statistics:
- With 2 billion users globally, YouTube stands as the second most frequented social media site.
- According to a study by Common Sense Media, it was found that 27% of videos watched by children aged eight and below are intended for older audiences, with violence being a prominent concern!
And these are just some statistics!
As we can see, blocking YouTube on Chrome is indeed important.
How to Block YouTube on Chrome: 4 ways
Here are four effective ways to Block YouTube on Chrome:
1)From Host Files
Blocking YouTube on Chrome can be a practical solution for maintaining focus or controlling content access. Now, one of the effective ways to achieve this is by making specific changes in the system’s host files.
Sounds quite technical? Well, fear not – I have broken it down into simple steps:
Step 1: Open Notepad as an Administrator
To begin with, the first step is to open Notepad and run it as administrator. You can do this by:
- Open the Start menu and search for Notepad. Or you can simply press the Windows key + S to activate the search bar and type Notepad (however, do not click any search results).
- Following that, right-click on Notepad and select “Run as administrator.”
- Click “Yes” and open the app.
Step 2: Navigate to the Hosts File
- Press Ctrl+O to open a file in Notepad. You can also access it by selecting “File” and press “Open.”
- Head to the host files by navigating to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and select the “hosts” file. If your Windows is installed on a different drive, replace “C” with the correct drive letter.
Note: If you want to open your computer’s ‘hosts’ File on a Mac computer, you can do this and continue.
Step 3: Select and Open the “Hosts” File
- Locate and open the File named “hosts.” This action opens the hosts file in Notepad for editing.
Step 4: Add YouTube Blocking Entries
- Scroll to the bottom of the File and press enter for a new line.
- Now, to block YouTube on Chrome, type 127.0.0.1, press space (to insert some space.), then type youtube.com and press Enter.
- To block YouTube on all browsers (Safari, Firefox, etc.), type- 127.0.0.1, press space, then type www.youtube.com; Press enter.
Step 5: Block Mobile Access (Optional)
- Add another line to block YouTube’s mobile site: Type- 127.0.0.1, press Tab to insert space, then type m.youtube.com.
Step 6: Save the Changes
- After making the necessary edits, it’s time to save the changes.
- For Windows: click File> Save As > Text Documents > All Files > Hosts> Save > Yes.
- For Mac: press Control + X > Y > Return.
Step 7: Flush DNS Cache
To ensure changes take effect, flush the DNS cache. You can restart your computer, or if you prefer not to, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + S, and type cmd.
- Right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- Finally, type- ipconfig /flushdns, and press Enter.
Step 8: Confirm Changes
The changes are now in effect. Test by opening your browser and attempting to access YouTube. If successful, congratulations, you’ve successfully blocked YouTube on Chrome!
Blocking YouTube using the Host Files options benefits the block site on all browsers ( Safari, Google Chrome browser, Firefox, etc.)
Secondly, it is quite difficult to reverse this method. You will able to exercise your parental controls more effectively, as children may have difficulty disabling it.
The host file techniques are beneficial in just keeping out YouTube, not the explicit and inappropriate content!
On the flip side, a desperate, tech-savvy child may just undo the settings with online tutorials!
(It’s best to protect your child with smart parental controls!)
2)With Extension (BlockerX)
One of the simplest and most efficient ways to block YouTube (both the website and the app) on your computer or phone is using reliable Chrome extensions. Now, choosing the right one is key, and it’s not that hard to decide.
Look for Chrome extensions or blocker apps that are highly efficient, user-friendly, and have an interactive interface. Ensure it seamlessly works on your Android or iOS mobile, offers excellent customer support, and functions as an all-around regulation tool for better digital habits and a safer online environment.
Fortunately, BlockerX ticks all the blocks of these preferences.
In fact, when it comes to your dilemma regarding how to block YouTube on Google Chrome, BlockerX is a site blocker that provides a dependable solution for both adults and kids, ensuring a safe online space without compromising your intended goals.
Here is how to block YouTube in Chrome browser using extensions like BlockerX, a dependable site blocker:
Step 1: Open your Chrome browser and type “BlockerX Chrome extension” into the search bar. Select the BlockerX – WebSite & Keyword Blocker option. Or you can simply launch the blockerx Chrome web store.
Step 2: Once the page opens, click on the “Add to Chrome” icon located on the upper right side of the page.
Step 3: Following that, you will get a pop-up through which you can then install the blocker. Simply select “Add extension.” Your computer will install the extension.
Step 4: After installation, follow the user-friendly on-screen instructions to set up the BlockerX Chrome extension.
Step 5: With the extension in place, head to the “Blocklist” feature. Paste the YouTube URL, press Enter, and block access to YouTube.
Installing and managing BlockerX on Chrome is a straightforward process. No need for tech expertise – it seamlessly integrates into your browser, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
You get an all-encompassing solution. In fact, BlockerX stands out as the most practical method for blocking YouTube on Chrome because it provides a comprehensive solution that works across all devices and browsers.
Well, BlockerX provides comprehensive assistance. However, it cannot work alone. All you need to do is keep up your determination and dedication. Remember, you have reliable support backing you up.
3)From Screen Time
Now, there are three specific ways to use screen time as a YouTube blocker option:
Method 1: Using Mac Screen Time to Block Youtube
If you are a Mac user running macOS 10.15 or later, you can use Mac Screen Time to keep away the distractions of YouTube. Here’s how:
- Open up System Preferences on your Mac and select the Screen Time icon.
- Click on Options, ensure that Screen Time is activated, and set a passcode.
- Within the Screen Time window, click on Content & Privacy. Following this, enable the restrictions by clicking “Turn On”.
- Next, move to the Content tab and click “Limit Adult Websites.”
- Click on Customize to tailor your restrictions.
- In the restricted section, choose the plus (+) button and add YouTube. Press OK.
Method 2: Use Microsoft Family Safety
Another way to use screen time as a YouTube blocker option is using Microsoft Family Safety on your computer. This integrated app serves as a versatile tool, not just for screen time control but also for setting up website access passcodes and location tracking.
- Click on the Start menu and navigate to settings by clicking on the gear icon.
- Choose the “Accounts” option and then choose “Family & other users.”
- Next, you can add a new account by clicking on “Add someone else to this PC.”
- Create a new account, and once done, switch to your administrator account.
- Following that, access the new account and click on “App, games & media.” Under “Limit apps, games, and media from the Store,” include the YouTube app in the restricted list.
Method 3: Using Screen Time Limiting App
Well, you can also consider using apps with schedule-based blocking to limit app usage. These apps, equipped with schedule-based blocking features, effectively regulate your device usage during designated time frames.
Personally, I have found this method extremely helpful, particularly in limiting my habit of binging YouTube videos before bedtime. It has helped me improve my sleep schedule.
All you need to do is download and install the app. Set it up as per the screen instructions and turn on the Schedule-Based Blocking.
Customize it to help you keep out the temptation. I would recommend setting up screen time restrictions about 1.5-2 hours before bedtime until 1.5-2 hours after waking up. This way, you will be able to limit the time you spend on YouTube as well as develop more disciplined screen time habits.
It’s (method 1 & 2) a great option to completely ban YouTube on your devices.
Secondly, these are super quick and easy ways to block access to YouTube.
One of the most significant setbacks is that this option to block site can be easily disabled.
Method 3 (Schedule-Based Blocking) disables YouTube for only a specific time frame.
4)Using Router Settings
Step 1: Begin by typing your router’s IP address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1 or https://myrouter.local ) into a web browser on a connected device. Usually, this can be found on a sticker on your router, resembling something like “192.168.1.254” or “192.168.50.1”.
Step 2: Log In to Your Router. Enter the prompted username and password. If unchanged, default settings (often “admin” for both) should work. In case you don’t remember the login details, consult your router’s manual or online resources.
Step 3: Next, you need to find the Parental Control/ Website Blocking Settings. This mainly varies by router brand and model. However, generally, you can find it under the “settings” or “advanced settings” options. Check out terms like “block site”, “content filtering,” or “parental controls.”
Step 4: Following this, find the option to block specific websites by entering their URLs. Input “www.youtube.com” and save your changes. You can also include other YouTube domains, such as:
Step 5: Ensure you apply or save changes; the router may need to reboot for adjustments to take effect.
This method acts as a one-time setup for all devices connected to your network; that is, you just need to set up YouTube blocker options once, and it will automatically apply to all devices, including cell phones, laptops, and tablets.
Secondly, this method ensures that the barrier against YouTube persists, even when devices undergo browser or operating system updates.
This method only works until your devices remain connected to your home network. If any user leaves the house or simply disconnects from the router, they can quickly get back access to YouTube.
Well, I hope you got your answer on how to block YouTube on Chrome. These are some of the best ways to block YouTube on Google Chrome.
As you now know, YouTube can be helpful. However, there are several compelling reasons to consider blocking this platform. By doing this, you can have more time for important things, be more focused and productive, make stronger connections with people, and be more involved in your own life.
Remember, you have the power to make the right choice with reliable ways like Chrome extension to back you up!
Q. Is the YouTube Adblock extension helpful?
Yes, a reliable YouTube adblock extension is beneficial to block YouTube ads. The YouTube Adblock extension helps keep intrusive ads out.
Q. How can I block a YouTube channel?
You can find the YouTube channel by going to that specific channel and accessing the “About” page. Following that, select the flag icon and choose “Block user. This way, you can block a YouTube channel.
- Social Media Use
- How to Edit Hosts File on Mac
- Most popular social networks worldwide as of January 2024, ranked by number of monthly active users